- Word Processing Software
- Graphics Software
- Spreadsheet Software
- Presentation Software
- Web Browsers
- Multimedia Software
- Education and Reference Software
- Simulation Software
- Content Access Software
- Information Worker Software
- Customer Relationship Management Application Software
- Enterprise Resource Planning Application Software
- Project Management Application Software
- Business Process Management Application Software
- Resource Management Application Software
- Productivity Software
- Time Management Application Software
- Educational Software
Application Based on Shareability
- Open source
- Closed source
Table of Contents
- What is Application Software?
- Examples of Application Software
- Things to Look For In An Application Software
- Functions of Application Software
- What is the difference between System Software & Application Software
- Know the Terminology Differences
- Types of Applications Software
- Benefits of Application Software
- How to Choose The Right Application Software that Fits Your Business
- Cost of Developing an Application Software for Your Business
- Custom Application Software: Ideal For Business With Specific Requirements
- The Future of Application Software
- Develop Your Application Software With FIngent
What is Application Software?
Examples of Application Software
- A suite of Microsoft products such as MS Office, PowerPoint, MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Internet browsers like Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.
- Graphics and design software such as Adobe Photoshop, CorelDraw, and AutoCAD.
- Real-time online communication tools like Skype, Hangouts, Google Meet, Zoom, and Whatsapp.
- Multimedia and music streaming software such as MX Player, VLC Media Player, Spotify, Pandora, etc.
- Project management software like Asana, Zoho, Slack, Forecast, etc
Things to Look For In An Application Software
Functions of Application Software
- Data analysis and information management
- Document manager
- Emails, text messaging, audio and video conferencing
- Graphics, animations, and video development
- Accounting, payroll, and finance management
- Project management
- Resource (ERP and CRM system) and HR management
- Software for healthcare management
- Business project management
- LMS and eLearning software
What is the difference between System Software and Application Software?
- System software is designed to control and manage the hardware and other resources of the system.
- System software is pre-installed with the operating system.
- System software is commonly referred to as general-purpose software.
- It acts as an interface between application software and the system.
- Developed in low-level language or machine code that is more compatible with the system hardware.
- System software can run independently.
- Programming of system software is complex.
- It acts as a platform and runs in the background.
- Performs primary functions of process management, memory management, task scheduling, hardware installation, etc.
- Users don’t interact with system software.
- System software is mandatory for a system to function.
- Examples: compiler, assembler, debugger, driver, etc
- Application software is designed to accomplish tasks for a specific purpose based on user requests.
- Application software is third-party software that can be downloaded and installed according to user needs.
- Application software is commonly referred to as specific-purpose software.
- Hosted on the platform, which is provided by the system software.
- Application software cannot run independently and need the presence of system software.
- Programming of applications is comparatively simpler.
- Runs in the foreground and performs a task based on user requests.
- Performs user-specific tasks for which it is designed.
- User interacts with the application software.
- Application software is not mandatory and the system can function without it.
- Examples: word processor, web browser, media player, photoshop, etc.
Know the Terminology Differences
App vs Application
On-premise Application Software vs Hosted Application Software
Application Software vs Application Platform
System Software vs Application Software
Types of Applications Software
Word Processing Software
Project Management Software
Business Process Management
Resource Management Software
Time Management Software
CRM Application Software
Open Source Software
ERP Application Software
Closed Source Software
Business Application Software
Custom Developed Application Software
Custom Developed Application Software
As the very name indicates, it is available free of cost. Users can download freeware application software from the Internet and use it without any charge. However, this software cannot be edited or personalized to one's needs. Adobe PDF, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome are good examples of this application software.
This software is distributed freely to the users on a trial basis, usually with a limited-time offer. After that, the users are expected to pay if they want to continue to use this application software. Some examples of shareware are WinZip, SnapTouch, and Adobe Acrobat.
This application software is available on the Internet for free, along with the source code. It allows users to modify the software, easily remove errors, and even add features to the software. Open-source software is available in free and paid versions. Few examples of open-source application software are Moodle and Apache Web Server.
Majority of application software packages that we use belong to this category. These are usually chargeable and have intellectual property rights or patents over the source code. It usually comes with restricted use. Examples include Microsoft Windows, Adobe Flash Player, WinRAR, mac OS, etc.
Benefits of Application Software
Enhanced customer service and satisfactionCustom application software integrates your CRM with other critical business systems. It provides more reliable and up-to-date customer information so your customer service agents can answer any queries and respond to calls more quickly and efficiently. As a result, it paves the way for improved customer service, leading to increased customer satisfaction.
How to Choose The Right Application Software that Fits Your Business
Cost of Developing an Application Software for Your Business
Custom Application Software: Ideal For Business With Specific Requirements
The Future of Application Software
As technology evolves more and more, application software is slowly finding its way to intrude into all aspects of our lives virtually. Whether it is a brand new app that can be downloaded on your mobile phone or a new way to make vehicles less dependent on a driver, application development is moving ahead by leaps and bounds. But as we look into the future, there are numerous questions about how application software will impact our personal and professional lives. Here's a quick rundown of what many experts believe the future holds for application software.
Companies will rely on developing application software that will allow artificial intelligence to analyze massive amounts of data simultaneously to help them in decision-making that would otherwise prove impossible.
Artificial Intelligence services will drive the smart reinvention of your business workflows, processes, and technology
Mixed Reality (MR)
Mixed reality (MR) is a blend of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) and has significant potential in today's enterprise applications. Organizations in various sectors like defense, retail, tourism, architecture, construction, gaming, healthcare, etc., are developing application software to propel their crucial business value.
Mixed Reality solutions empower you to create vivid and accurate reflections on real-world environments that enable improved work collaboration
One area where the application software is projected to make a substantial impact within the next decade is autonomous cars. With the manufacturing industry investing more and more into technology, it is likely to lead to the production of autonomous vehicles, which will bring out many innovations in application software. It is not too distant future that Google and Apple will bring out their autonomous vehicle applications.
As technology trends continue to develop faster than most of us can keep up with, the Internet of Things (IoT) could make far-reaching impacts on our world. Devices on these networks use application software to exchange data over the Internet.
Another area where the application software is expected to play a significant role is, moving towards a completely cashless society. As consumers move to a more digital world, all financial transactions are done electronically, paving the way for banking and insurance companies to develop application software to support more digital transactions.
With the growing popularity of cloud gaming, many organizations are turning to cloud-native apps to provide richer playing experiences and provide tangible benefits for both player and provider.
Develop Your Application Software With FIngent
As online transactions soar and digital workplaces emerge, different types of application software will continue to evolve. As a result, the demand for custom software development tailored to the requirements of a business is increasing now more than ever before. From simple customizations to full-cycle software development, Fingent can help address all your specific business requirements, leveraging our application software development capabilities.
Explore our range of services.
Years of Experience
Centers of Excellence (CoE)
Transparent Project Management
Dedicated QA Practices