According to Statcounter, iOS claims 55.45% of the mobile OS market share in the US. The unfading loyalty of Americans to Apple devices makes iOS mobile app development more relevant than ever. All you need to do is to choose the right technology stack for your mobile application. If you are planning to develop a native iOS app, then Swift should be on your radar. Swift is a game-changing, open-source language in the iOS application development space that is designed to be safe, fast, powerful, and intuitive. It is highly regarded as a successor to both C and Objective-C languages. The Swift code is interactive, fun, and easier to maintain and read, with a lightweight, yet expressive syntax that allows complex ideas to be conveyed in a clear and concise manner.
Top Features of Swift
- Optimizes performance for a wide variety of use cases
- Built-in error handling eliminates mistakes and makes code more readable
- Clean syntax in Swift makes APIs easier to read and maintain
- Keeps memory usage to a minimum and prevents garbage collection overheads
- Streamlined closures to perform powerful custom transformations
- Swift code is interoperable with your existing Objective-C files in the same project
C++ is the simplest foundation for most of the web programming languages today. It is widely used in the latest Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs), operating systems, and embedded systems. C++ enables you to develop high-performing, complex, and user-friendly mobile apps and software applications with extended functionality. It’s a platform-independent language. You can write code in C++ to develop the application once and render it on multiple platforms (Android, iOS, and Windows) without sacrificing the app’s performance or security. The simple and effective compiler-based approach makes it a versatile tool that can be used for multiple platforms. C++ is an object-oriented programming language which provides a clear structure to programs and lowers development costs by promoting code reusability.
Top Features of C++
- High level of control over system resources and memory
- Ability to develop applications that can be adapted to multiple platforms
- Mobile apps can be adapted to support multiple industries and use cases
- Supports the development of AI-based software solutions
- Standard Template Library saves development time and effort
- Early error detection during the compiling process
Java is one of the most successful and reliable languages in the history of programming. Java is a key pillar in Android app development, along with Kotlin, BASIC, and C++. It is a platform-independent, object-oriented, general-purpose programming language with minimal implementation dependencies. It lets programmers write code once and run it everywhere, which avoids the need to recompile code every time for the platforms that support Java. An extremely versatile language, Java helps keep your app flexible, modular, and extensible. Java is easy to handle and many open source libraries are made available for users to choose from. With its vibrant range of features, Java allows developers to create the best cross-platform apps, native Android apps, server apps, games, websites, and more.
Top Features of Java
- Highly popular for robust and secure client-server applications
- Automatic memory management to prevent memory leaks
- Machine-independent code that runs on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) regardless of the underlying architecture
- Just-in-time compilation to improve program execution speed
- Standard libraries to access host-specific features such as graphics, threading, and networking
- Widely acknowledged for portability and code reusability
HTML5 is the latest version of HTML, the standard markup language used for structuring and displaying content on the web. Those who consider cross-platform mobile app development as a daunting task can leverage HTML5 as it helps deliver multi-platform functionality and exceptional user experience. HTML5 ensures consistency across browsers and advocates responsive design. The “write once, run anywhere” advantage offered by HTML5 accelerates your time to market, improves your app’s visibility, makes development affordable, and supports offline browsing. HTML5 has more tags and functionalities than its preceding versions to enable the creation of dynamic mobile sites.
Top Features of HTML5
- Audio and video tags allow developers to add videos quickly, without building a video player
- Scalable, easy to create, and editable vector graphics improves the transferring and loading speed of graphics on the web
- Multiple tags and media elements to promote interactivity and animation
- Loads faster using application cache, web SQL database, and local web storage
- Easy to keep up with changes and new web standards because of simpler syntax
PHP is an ideal programming language for developing web and mobile apps that require database access and integration. It’s a widely-used, object-oriented, free and open-source, server-scripting language and also one of the best alternatives to Microsoft’s ASP. While the primary reason behind creating PHP was to develop websites and web applications, its high level of adaptability has made PHP an ideal choice for building hybrid mobile apps. Popular PHP frameworks such as Laravel, Lumen, CodeIgniter, and Symfony are being used extensively for building mobile apps that require complex backend and exhaustive data migration. Large scale app projects prefer this open-source language a lot as it simplifies caching, authentication, and even routing.
Top Features of PHP
- Supports a wide range of databases which makes it suitable for handling forms
- Cross-platform support, browser and server compatibility, support for multiple protocols (HTTP, POP3, LDAP, IMAP, SNMP, NNTP, and more)
- Well-organized, easy-to-optimize programming language with numerous predefined functions
- Efficient session management that eliminates unwanted memory allocation
- Real-time access monitoring and robust error reporting and handling
- Predefined functions for data encryption keeps the environment safe and secure for users