The adoption of web and mobile based field service software is on the rise now, mainly because of organizations’ need to keep their field services streamlined and organized, and also to provide better services to customers with a proactive approach. Clubbed with the need to provide customers with necessary insights and information, in an effective manner, it becomes almost inevitable for companies to use field service automation software, more specifically mobile-based.
Success comes with the ‘right’ field service automation software
With the number of field service solutions available in the market, it is often difficult to choose the right one for your business. Here are some pointers for you to make a more informed decision:
- Understand your business model, know what your needs are – It is very important that you clearly understand your business model, your needs and the improvements you expect from the new system, before you approach the vendor. You need to be able to document your case as well, as a good field service vendor will ask you about your model and work towards understanding it better, in order to provide the best solution. By effectively communicating your objectives to the vendors, they will be able to explain how best their solution can help you. This lets you measure different vendor systems better and make a better-informed decision before finalizing.
- Understand the differences – As you get into the search for the right field service solution, it is very likely that you might get confused by the number of choices available through their marketing brochures and websites. The trick is to find the one that is closest to meeting your business requirements. How?
You will have to get up and close with all those solutions you have narrowed down on, after initial evaluation through the websites. As you spend some more time with them, ask questions and study them, the little weaknesses or issues with each system that may not be as apparent will be uncovered. For this purpose you may set out as a project team with several people, as other members of your team could come up with questions and findings that don’t occur to you. You also get to try out the systems, free of cost as well as paid. This way you will be able to learn more and see the different functionalities, helping you make a well-informed decision.
- Learn the latest trends in field service technology – As you speak with your vendors for their solutions, you will most definitely come across a lot of new buzzwords and technical jargon that you may not be familiar with. When you do, do not ignore them or assume them to be things that are not important or things that might already be included in the system. The latest technology is what you want, and you don’t want to be using a system which is very likely to get obsolete soon. You need to be well aware of all the latest trends in field service software and make sure that the system you are looking to adopt, has them. You need to do sufficient research for this, and acquaint yourself with all the new trends. Software-as-a-Service models, web and mobile-based interfaces and the like, are some trends for you to start with.
“The latest technology is what you want, and you don’t want to be using a system which is very likely to get obsolete soon.”
- Involve your field agents – Your field agents are the ones who are going to be spending the most time with the software you choose, so involving them in the buying process is not only fair, but also necessary. Ask them about their needs and difficulties, and also their expectations from the new system. Such engagement, will not only reduce the resistance to the new system, but it will also make them more excited about using it. Get their feedback on the system, provide them with the time and training required for them to get used to the new system. Their opinions and ideas are very likely to be right and good, as they are the ones who are going to be using it.
“Ask your field agents about their needs and difficulties, and also their expectations from the new system.”
- Make sure there is prompt customer support – You are very likely to face issues with your solution or get stuck with it, a few years into using it. While there may be field agents who may know how to work around minor glitches, there also may be some who need extra help. Either way, you want to make sure that when they do need help, the field service management customer support, is easily available and affordable as well. Whatever mode it may be in, tech support is a must. You need to ask questions and analyze support details like is it a call centre? Do you get to talk to experts? Do you pay extra for support or is it included in the initial price?
The right field service automation solution will last a long time and will be totally worth the initial investment, if is properly implemented and maintained. Hence, a thorough and effective software selection and implementation process is required, if you want to realize all these business benefits and improve the efficiency of your field service. Talk to our field service automation software experts to know more about them and help you choose the perfect one for your business.